Keymer & Hassocks Football Club. Playing Football in Hassocks at Adastra Park since 2003

Report 12th April2008
Keymer & Hassocks vs East Grinstead Town III
Stubbins Cup Final

K & H reached a 5th cup final in their 5 year history only to lose out 4-2 on penalties to East Grinstead Town III after extra time.

They felt in with a shout before the game playing close to home and having previously beaten  EGT reasonably comfortably in the League-but were stunned to find their opponents appeared to have undergone a miraculous transformation being completely superior in all departments leaving K & H comprehensively outclassed.

The travelling support also far outnumbered the locals and provided tremendous vocal encouragement to their team.

Despite taking the lead from a Jon Ruffle header K & H were under sustained pressure throughout the first half and it was no surprise when they conceded a well taken equaliser just before half time.

The second half continued in similar vein with K & H barely able to get out of their own half but amazingly they were handed a lifeline via a penalty award which Gregor Ross hit confidently only for the keeper to pull off a great one handed save.

So to extra time-more of the same and having given everything most K & H players were now out on their feet but somehow managed to play out time.

Robin KIng had volunteered to go in goal with regular keeper Craig Jackson away and in only his second game ever had done well in real time.Whilst not affecting the outcome it was sad he had to endure such personal abuse by a small minority of onlookers in the shoot out were  the quality of the EGT penalties delivered a fair 4-2 outcome.

For the record Gregor Ross and Dave Edwards were the 2 scorers.

No complaints about the result EGT being the best team K & H have ever faced- by a distance.

Credit to both teams for performing as they did on such a rubbish playing surface.

No disrespect to the winner but would perhaps have been a nice balance to proceedings if  a member of the losing side had got man of the match though--Gregor Ross who battled valiantly throughout or Troy Raftery-he must have cleared-tackled and headed the ball close to 100 times and takes great credit for helping his team to avoid what could have been a complete rout.

Time perhaps for K & H to have a long long rest from cup finals.

Established 2003

© 2018 Trigger Solutions